Saturday, January 26, 2013

Food Should Taste Good- All Natural Chip Review











    As a person who enjoys snacks while watching movies, sometimes it's better to choose the healthier choice than the naughty one. When I don't have fruit or baby carrots sometimes I go for the not so great stuff like pretzels and ice cream. 
   Food Should Taste Good is a mouthful of a brand name but it really seems fitting and it is very much a true statement. Healthy choices SHOULD taste good and I shouldn't have to worry how much sodium is in that handful of pretzels or how much processed sugar is in candy and ice cream.
  With chips made from real, simple ingredients. They are also all Kosher, and gluten free as well low in sodium, free of cholesterol, preservatives and trans fat.
    They have a "Boatload" of tortilla flavors and 4 kettle chip flavors. I tried 3 of the tortilla flavors and 1 of the kettle chip flavors and boy was I surprised.



 Original Sweet Potato Chips
Surprisingly the bag listed three simple ingredients; sweet potatoes, sunflower oil and sea salt.

This is the first chip I tried. It is one of the kettle cooked. It had a light sweet taste from the sweet potato but not an overpowering flavor, it was lightly salted and has low sodium as well as 25% reduced fat. I am not a huge fan of kettle chips, nor do I love overly salty foods but I love sweet potatoes and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this one. They were super crispy which seems about right for a kettle chip so the texture was there. I just couldn't believe it only had 3 ingredients listed.



Multigrain Tortilla

The Ingredients list on the bag shows; Stone ground corn, high oleic sunflower oil and/or safflower oil and/or canola oil, brown rice flour, flax seeds, evaporated cane juice, oat fiber, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, quinoa, soy flour, sea salt.

One of the cool things about the tortilla chips is they say they double as crackers and I would have to say this one would definitely be one I would consider to be more cracker like. The multigrain is crispy and is just all around amazing. I can really taste sesame seeds it's almost like a sesame cracker. It is lightly salted and is like a tortilla chip but better. You can still really taste the corn chip so all the flavors together are pretty amazing. Definitely my top favorite!




Sweet Potato Tortilla 
 Ingredients list shows; Stone ground corn, High oleic sunflower oil and/or safflower oil and/or canola oil, sweet potato, corn bran, evaporated cane juice, and sea salt.


Another tortilla chip I tried was the sweet potato flavor. Crunchy, slightly sweetened, it has a  strong sweet potato flavor with a light hint of salt. It was almost hard to believe it was a corn tortilla chip and not an actual slice of a sweet potato. There was still a  slight after taste of corn tortilla but the star of the show was definitely the sweet potato. I love to have a buttered, baked sweet potato and this was very reminiscent of that.




Lime Tortilla
Ingredients are listed on the bag as; stone ground corn, high oleic sunflower oil and/or safflower oil and/or canola oil, corn bran, lime juice, sea salt.

This one I was a little more nervous about. I am not a fan of lime. I have had lime chips before in the past and it didn't go well. This one however was actually pretty interesting. It had that great crunch that the other tortilla chips had and it still had that classic corn chip taste.Being only lightly salted, the lime flavor comes in stronger at the end but it was not bitter or sour like I expected it to be.



    All in all I would have to say these were a total hit in my book. I think I would love to eventually try some of the other great flavors available such as the chocolate tortilla, The WORKS tortilla, and the barbeque kettle chip. I have never come across anything as interesting as the Food Should Taste Good chips that were actually as healthy as these with as few ingredients as these.
   Check them out on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest or sign up for their newsletter, or if you are interested in learning more or check out their website to see what other flavors you think you would like to try!

FTC: I was provided samples for review, no other compensation was given. All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment