Friday, June 7, 2013

#Challenge To Write-Flying Elephants















     ♫I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,And seen a needle wink its eye, but I be done seen about everything,When I see an elephant fly.♫
        Growing up I was in love with watching Dumbo. I think for the most part, just about everyone has that one Disney movie they connected with as a child and grew up watching over and over again. Mine happened to be a movie from the 40's about a travelling circus and flying elephants.
        I watched a lot of the classic movies growing up and loved them all but Dumbo was always the one I would watch repeatedly until I drove every one of my family members insane.
        I loved the music, I loved all the animals, the pink elephants on parade scared me for a little while, but I didn't care.
        When you watch the movie as an adult you tend to understand the story line more than when you were a child and you step back and have a "yikes" moment. I can't honestly say I recall ever visiting a real circus growing up but I doubt I ever would. Amidst all the sad locked up elephants, and "alcoholic" clowns, (I don't think that was just alcohol or there wouldn't have been pink elephants everywhere) there was actually a good moral in the story about believing in yourself and being brave.
        I still watch the movie on occasion and it actually became one of my nephews favorite movies. I even bought him a little stuffed Dumbo that he carried around forever. It is good to pass on traditions especially when you pass them down through the generations so that the nostalgia isn't lost. In reality, I wouldn't want to see a real flying elephant. I'm not sure I would want to be underneath what would fall from the sky from that.

4 comments:

  1. LOL Awwww I forgot how much I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the songs stuck in my head since I wrote this. lol

      Delete
  2. I remember Dumbo but can't remember the movie LOL. My favorite movie as a kid would definitely be the Aristocats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that movie too. =) I still watch kids movies, you have an excuse to. You should be taking advantage of this! lol

      Delete