Wednesday, June 5, 2013

#Challenge to Write-My Black Thumb





















      To ask me my favorite flower is to ask me what flower I haven't killed. I can't really say I like a particular flower because I have a black thumb when it comes to flowers.
       I have tried many times to grow them through the years and I have been pretty unsuccessful. That being said, it has caused me to dislike flowers to a certain degree. I don't have a particular favorite because of it now.
       Growing up we used to have huge gardens full of herbs and vegetables and tons of fruit trees. One of my favorite things about the garden was being able to grow whatever we wanted. Though I was never able to transfer that ability from food to flowers there was one exception.
        Next to the tall row of gooseberry bushes was my favorite part of the garden; the sunflowers. I was never able to view the sunflowers as actual flowers because we never grew them to be pretty, we grew them for the seeds.
         I was always completely baffled by the idea that they were always so tall and the flower heads were so huge. I was always so excited for the day we got to take all the seeds out too. I would fight my older brothers and sister for the largest one, looking back now I realize I made more work for myself than necessary.
        I haven't had the opportunity to really grow my own sunflowers since I was little, but maybe one day I will again. Until then I will continue to accidentally kill the little red... things in the hanging planters outside my door. No, I don't know what they are called.



8 comments:

  1. Aww I love flowers but I can't grow them either. I have one, non-flowering plant that has survived me. I swear I only water it twice a year and it is just happy like that, sitting the corner in the bathroom. I wish all plants were that easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep killing the things I planted in the hanging baskets. I moved into the wrong apartments. They LOVE their flowers here and they have me here...killing mine off accidentally. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm like that with Aloe Vera --- not sure why but I can't keep them alive :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one time I successfully started a bonsai tree from a seed, it got about 2 inches tall then the cat ate it. lol

      Delete
  3. A lot of neighbors grow Sunflowers and I get to enjoy their flowers because for some reason if I plant a flower bush, it never comes back. I planted some gorgeous mums, and they died! They are supposed to grow back, and they never did! So for now I just enjoy my neighbors beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apartment complex takes part in a huge flower program every year so there are thousands of flowers outside. They give residents 23 flowers free and we plant and take care of them so the community looks nicer as a whole. I'm not doing so well but at least I get to look at all kinds of flowers. lol

      Delete
  4. LOL Im horrible when it comes to growing plants. I tried growing my own basil yeah that didn't last long. My favorite story though would be I planted (i forget what type of flowers) out in the back yard and they started growing and what you do you know my fiances dad ripped them up thinking they were weeds LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once planted a tiny patch of clover that smelled like grape soda when I was 8 and my brother ran it over with the lawn mower. lol

      Delete