Saturday, June 1, 2013

#Challenge to Write-Summer Fun

 
     If someone were to ask me nowadays what I liked about Summer I would get a grumpy look on my face, and go on about how Fall and Winter were so much
better. I don't go full Tardar Sauce on Summer, Grumpy Cat style, but I do happen to prefer Fall the most. If I had to choose one thing I love about Summer the most now at the age of 28 I would say it was definitely thunder storms. If you asked 8 year old me what I loved most about summer it would be so much more than that.
     Growing up in a big family meant I had the opportunity to do large group activities that most kids couldn't do unless they rounded up the whole neighborhood. Flashlight tag being the most popular.
     Flashlight tag was literally the greatest thing about summer as a kid. It meant staying up late, laughing hysterically and playing hide and seek in the dark with nothing but a flashlight in hand. Playing in a group of anywhere from 10-15 of us (or more if grownups joined in) always meant the game went on for a while.
     Some of the best Summers of my life were spent in West Virginia with my brothers, sisters and cousins. We would play kick ball or wiffle ball all day, have a huge water and/or food fight and then stay out late playing flashlight tag and kick the can. On rainy days I would always be out on the swing on the front porch listening to the thunder and watching the rain fall.
     My Summers are a lot less exciting now that I have gotten older but I still love to sit outside in the rain and I still smile when I think about how much fun I had playing all those games as a kid.

8 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have never played flashlight tag or kick the can! I need to play them now!!!! Maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so hard to believe unless you were around a LOT of other kids growing up. I at least had that on my side. The food fights were something else though. I once had a tomato thrown at me and a banana smashed in my face and witnessed a mashed potato fight a little too closely. That's a whole 'nother story though. lol

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those are some great memories! I never played flashlight tag as a child , but I'm thinking about playing it as an adult -- maybe my five year old would enjoy this and really get a kick from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the days when kids played outside... dont get me wrong.. I love my internet, but playing outside was so much more fun.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you on the outside play when we were kids. Not a worry in the world! I've played all those games and enjoyed them all with neighborhood friends and cousins! We live in a very urban city so playing outside is difficult but I make sure my kids do! From 5-7pm Spring/Summer they play outside in front of the house and all the kids now come out and us parents watch and gather around talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! It's so hard nowadays with the world wondering if it's safe to have their kids outside anymore. I think making it a huge neighborhood thing is a fantastic idea!

      Delete
  4. I love summer and can't wait for my daughter to makes great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great memories are the best kind of memories to make.

      Delete