Sunday, September 1, 2013

Orijen Freeze Dried Dog Food Review



     With so many  dog foods on the market being recalled, or with a huge list of ingredients that are bad for your pet it can be difficult to really know what to choose. Some foods include so many fillers and things that your dog could be allergic to that it can be dangerous or your pet won't get the nutrients they need. That is why I am absolutely in love with Orijen's line of freeze dried food available on the Chewy website!
        If you remember my previous post, I reviewed Orijen's Freeze dried treats and Dex was absolutely smitten with them. The bag did not last long. I love that this line of food runs along the same vein as the treats in that it is a biologically appropriate, whole prey diet food made with regional poultry, fish and eggs and local fruits and vegetables out of Canada.
         Dexter got to try out the Orijen Adult, but it is also available in Regional Red and Tundra. The Adult formula is great for all stages and is loaded with meat ingredients (90%), including a Biologically Appropriate symphony of cage-free chicken, turkey and nest-laid eggs from local farms, plus wild-caught herring and flounder from North Vancouver Island.      

    What is interesting about this food is they are shaped like medallions and it is insanely easy to prepare! The instructions on the side say for Dexter's weight range he should get four, but I started him out on two just to see how he liked it. All you need to do is break them apart and pour a 1/4 cup of warm water over each medallion and wait for five minutes. You can stir it to make it absorb a little faster.
        Once I sat it on the floor I could not remove his head from the bowl until the bowl was empty. I am actually quite surprised that he didn't vacuum seal his face into the bowl. He was VERY excited.
         I can't imagine feeding Dexter anything else now. It is amazing to see that he took to it so quickly and it is something that is so good for him. I can honestly say I am in love with Orijen and I am glad that Dex loves their freeze dried line.
        Don't forget to checkout Chewy, it is fantastic for finding all kinds of fun stuff from food, to grooming, to flea and tick care for your dog or cat. If you want to learn more, check out their website or follow them on Facebook, Twitter, or  Google+ to stay in the loop!




FTC: The products shown were provided for review purposes, no other compensation was given. All opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. sounds interesting. i bet my furbabies would like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would! The texture before adding the water is still pretty soft but after its added it softens up a little more which is perfect for Dex because he is notorious for refusing to chew his food. lol

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to try Freeze Dried Food for my Dog. Can you please tell me how long the Bag of Food lasted? I have been checking into getting some for my Dog, but it cost more than the Roll of food that I have my Dog on.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bag I have if the 6 oz bag that contains 12 medallions. I still have half a bag because I don't feed it to him every day. I feed Dex 2 at a time but his size is recommended he eat 4. You can also supplement. They also have a much larger size bag available on the Chewy website. It would be really dependent upon whether you are going to do the full serving size for your pet or if you choose to supplement.

      Delete
  3. i have never heard of freeze dried dog food - thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard of it before but never tried it until recently and it is really neat. Its like astronaut food for my dog. lol

      Delete